Saturday 4 September 2021

#35 Quest: The Lonelines of Old Eremites

After writing the last post, I decided to take another step against my drive for theory. This is on the one hand to get closer to the root motivation for the whole project - practical quest design - and on the other hand a reaction to the simple fact that I'm slowly but surely running out of theoretical content that is not redundant. It might take some time and change until my theory batteries are recharged and then I'll surely continue with those larger text constructions.

The devil is in the details

Instead, these passages will be filled with short reading recommendations. The first one is "The devil is in the details" by former CD Projekt RED Quest Designer and Director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz.

You can read it here.

It is old, true, but also one of the most accurate depictions of the craft I've ever read (point given, there aren't many depictions at all). Maybe this is due to the fact that I myself am quite CDPR-adjacent in many game development matters.

A Witcher 2 Quest: The Lonelines of Old Eremites

This mod was my first attempt at Witcher 2 quest modding and it turned out to be a long work with some problems not having been fixed even in this release. But oh well: Sometimes, projects and lines of thought need to be closed to make room for new ones.

I know for example, that the lighting is off. And that the NPCs and monster's names do not work correctly. But since time is limited and ressources at times inaccessible, I'll have to live with that. Maybe I will be able to address these issues in future mods.

Conclusion

I'm reinventing, but also modifying my own wheels and I think this is a sensible approach to my learning journey at this point: Right now I still have the freedom to explore in different directions, grasp the width of the field before step by step narrowing my focus. So I wouldn't be surprised if more such turns arise in the course of this project.

I hope you, too, take your time to do the things in your own pace.

Have a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment